Are you having trouble saving up for a down payment for your Lake Murray, SC dream home? Never fear, help is on the way. Today, we wanted to share with you some programs that can help make your home ownership dreams come true. Take a look at our blog for more information about these down payment grant programs to see if you qualify. If so, we would love to help you find a new home and make Lake Murray your new neighborhood. Want to know more about the area? Follow this link for an in-depth guide to Lake Murray, SC.
Down Payment Grants
Want to buy a home but can’t seem to get ahead enough to save for the down payment? What if you could snap your fingers and make money appear, specifically down payment money? Well, start snapping and say hello to down payment grant programs.
Sound too good to be true? It’s not. There are programs available to help deserving folk—people with decent credit and stable work histories—get a home without having to save up for years while pouring rent money down the drain. And even better—because they’re grants, you never have to pay them back. More than 200,000 homebuyers nationwide have benefited from these programs.
Nonprofit organizations like Partners in Charity and the Genesis Program provide from 1 to 10 percent down payments, up to $22,500. While the qualifications vary according to program, each program requires that buyers qualify for financing with their lender. Other requirements may include completing a Home Ownership Counseling course, or that the home buyer provides 1 percent of their own money. Sellers are sometimes asked to contribute as well.
Sellers benefit as well from these programs. By broadening the pool of potential homebuyers, grant programs help sellers and lenders sell homes faster than they might otherwise with a smaller group of eligible buyers. In effect, down payment grant programs bring more buyers to the marketplace. As you might expect, many programs have income/asset restrictions, recapture clauses, reserves required or geographic boundaries.
Down payment assistance programs generally participate with FHA, conforming and jumbo loan products, and can be used for single family homes, manufactured/modular home, condos, townhomes, existing or new construction, rehab and jumbo. Most of the programs don’t underwrite the loan or add any cost in the form of points or fees. They just provide the gift for the down payment and/or closing costs.
Let’s look at two of the programs:
Partners in Charity (PIC):
- Provides 2 to 10 percent down payment.
- No cash investment required of the buyer.
- No extra qualifying after mortgage lender approval.
Where to Start
- First, log on to www.partnersincharity.org and fill out an application to be added to PIC’s “Grant Reservation List.
- If you’ve already selected a lender, have them call PIC, who will explain the program to them. Your lender will then determine the down payment you’ll need and will advise PIC of the amount.
- After pre-qualifying for a mortgage, your PIC mortgage specialist will refer you to a realtor who’ll help you find a home in your price range.
- The seller is required to participate in the PIC program, so it’s important to have your realtor explain it to them before making a fair offer.
- Your lender will send an appraiser to the property to make sure everything’s in working order and you didn’t overbid on the house.
- After the appraiser submits the appraisal report to your lender, they’ll approve your mortgage and settle on an interest rate.
- Now your lender will request your gift from PIC. PIC will wire your gift to the closing or escrow company prior to your closing.
- Once you move into your new home, all PIC wants in return is for you to refer someone else to them who needs help with a house down payment.
The Genesis Program
This program is similar to PIC in that it provides homebuyers with free money to use toward down payments, closing costs and other funds needed to buy a house. You can receive up to $22,500, and like PIC, no lien is recorded against the home and you don’t have to repay.
- Homebuyers are not required to provide any of their own money.
- Sellers are required to put up a contribution equal to the gift amount provided by Genesis to the home buyer (1 percent of the contract sales price or $750 whichever is less).
- Buyers are automatically qualified for a gift from Genesis if they purchase a Participating Home (a home in which the seller has entered into a participating home agreement with Genesis Housing Development Corp. The Participating Home Agreement outlines the contribution the seller makes to Genesis and its use.) and obtaining financing through an eligible loan program (any single-family mortgage loan that allows charitable organizations to provide gift funds to a buyer for use toward their down payment and/or closing costs. FHA guidelines allow a gift from a charitable organization as an acceptable source of borrowers “Funds to Close” [HUD Handbook 4155.1, Rev-4, Chg-1, Para.2-10C].)
Other Posts from Our Network
Posted By: Exit REC In: Real Estate Listings
Our blog on this Wednesday, October 23 focuses on the most recent homes for sale in Hastings Point of Columbia, SC. The upscale homes of Hastings Point have all the upgrades including granite counter tops, open floor plans, walk-in closets, and all of the comforts a family requires. On the list below, you will find prices ranging from $286,500 up to $325,000. Some of the homes are new construction while others have been previously occupied. Whatever your taste, you get lots of home for your money in Hastings Point. Read More...
Lake Murray SC Real Estate - EXIT Real Estate Consultants
Lake Murray is almost entirely located in Lexington County and is just a short drive to the capital city of Columbia. A popular vacation destination, Lake Murray offers all of the amenities of lake living. Exit Real Estate Consultants is your local expert in all your Real Estate needs in Lake Murray South Carolina. Our website offers access to the most comprehensive MLS Listing Service with free access and advanced tools for Real Estate Buyers and Sellers - put us to work for you; our service will impress you! (803) 358-0888.
*Article printed with full permission and edited by author and copyrighted